Friday, August 12, 2011

Mushy Gushy Tomatoes & Buitoni Tortellini Part 2

If someone asked me what my least favorite food was, I'd say tomatoes. Why? That mushy, seedy, pulp in the middle of a tomato makes me cringe. So, Giada's recipe for stuffed tomatoes scared me a little. Thankfully, the pulp of the tomatoes would be removed and filled with a rice mixture. Stuffed tomatoes was definitely in the list of recipes that I'm not too excited to make, but another big reason why I started this project is because it forces me to try foods I wouldn't normally eat. Despite my fears, I completed the recipe and the result for me was.... eh. I wanted to give the recipe a little more pizzazz so I added mushrooms and onions to the rice mixture that was composed of basil, parsley, garlic, parmesan, and rice of course. I liked the taste of the rice but the tomato with it was just OK to me. No big flavor or anything special, so I don't think I would make this recipe again. That's okay with me though, because you never know till you try! Luckily my mom really liked this dish so it won't go to waste.


Along with the tomatoes, I made cheese tortellini in a light broth. This was a very simple recipe, and required me to use the rest of my Buitoni Tortellini that I bought for the brown butter sauce. I boiled the tortellini in chicken broth, giving the tortellini a nice, light flavor. Once the tortellini was cooked, I ladled it along with the broth into a bowl, added some thyme, and topped it with parmesan cheese. Just like the baked rigatoni with bechamel, this dish was a very warm, comforting dish that reminded me of watching movies on a rainy day. It also requires very little, basic ingredients, which is always good.

Time Spent: 1 hour and 30 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment