Monday, August 8, 2011

Buitoni Tortellini

I'm loving all of these Italian words I encounter I as continue with my project. It makes me wish Italian was offered as one of the language courses in my high school! Anyway, this morning I flipped through my cookbook looking for recipes that I would make this week. I usually look for recipes that have common ingredients to be more cost-efficient. I decided on the recipes listed to your left. After coming home from the grocery store and the orthodontist, I wasn't in the mood to make turkey meatballs or risotto, so I opted for the simple brown butter sauce recipe. I boiled the Buitoni Tortellini until al dente. Following that, I made the brown butter sauce which was incredibly easy. I melted about 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and thyme. Giada explained in the cookbook that I could put any herb of my choice into the sauce. Thyme is my favorite herb as of now - it's so lemony and fresh! So, I cooked the butter mixture over medium heat until the butter was browned and poured it over the drained cheese tortellini. My first bite and I literally said "Woahh!" It was delicious!! But then again, how can anything with butter as the main ingredient NOT be delicious? Giada reminds me again of how incredible simple things can be. The browning of the butter made it have such good flavor. It may not be the healthiest sauce, but it's awesome for when I'm really lacking ingredients and want something tasty and comforting. I want to figure out what else I could put that sauce on. This was very successful**.


25 recipes down.... 100 more to go!


**Successful dish = I would definitely make it again




Time spent: 30 mins

2 comments:

  1. I have 2 packs of Buitoni tortellini at my apartment!!! But it's the chicken kind, not cheese. But I still want to try this sauce with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha mmm I've had the chicken one too!! I love making it when there's nothing else to eat, it's so easy! I even think it's easier than making kraft mac & cheese :)

    ReplyDelete