Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I'm Gonna Need Some Mouthwash After This...

Garlic and tuna - two of the most common smelly foods. Today I made two dishes with those ingredients being the main components. First was turkey tonatto. I had never heard of this dish prior to starting this project, and I knew why once I looked at what this dish was composed of. The turkey aspect of turkey tonatto was a standard baked turkey breast, but as I read the ingredients for the sauce that accompanied the turkey, I made this face. Tuna, anchovy paste, capers, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. I don't know about you, but those ingredients make me think "blech!" Even though those listed ingredients didn't sound good at all, I thought the recipe had the potential of turning out really good, so I decided to try it today. I made the turkey breast by coating it with olive oil, salt, pepper, dried thyme, basil, and oregano. After putting the turkey breast in a baking dish, I poured about one cup of chicken broth into the dish and baked it at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. The turkey breast was very moist and the dried herbs made it taste great. Then it was time to make the tuna sauce. I put all the ingredients for the sauce into my food processor and the smell reminded me of my cat's Fancy Feast. After that, I had such a difficult time looking at the sauce as appetizing. The turkey and sauce didn't taste bad at all, but the strong flavor of the sauce was something I wasn't a fan of. Picturing my cat's food when I took a bite didn't help at all! My parents loved this dish, and were happy to have something to take to work tomorrow for lunch. So I knew my turkey tonatto turned out good,  I just didn't like the strong, pungent flavor of the tuna sauce.

Along with the turkey tonatto I made roasted baby potatoes with herbs and garlic. I started by coating dutch yellow baby potatoes in olive oil, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Once all the potatoes were coated I used a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet. I baked them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, tossing occasionally. The unique thing about this recipe was that after they were done baking, I put the potatoes back in the olive oil with the garlic and seasonings. While the potatoes were baking for 40 minutes, the garlic and seasonings infused into the oil which made the potatoes really flavorful and delicious. I would definitely make this again - meaning it was a success. I can even say they were the tastiest potatoes I've had (excluding restaurants)! I think the method of putting them back in the garlic oil made the difference. After being around all these pungent fishy, garlicy foods, I was ready to take a shower and brush my teeth.

Time spent: 2 hours and 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment