Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's Good to Be Back



SO it's been about three weeks since I last posted! And I have to admit that I've really missed cooking. Cooking has become something that I really enjoy! But anyway, last week I made Rib Eye steak. It was my first time making steak by myself, so I was anxious to see how it would turn out. I only bought one steak because this cut of meat was really expensive. First, I thinly coated each side of steak with olive oil, and sprinkled a ready-made mix of steak seasoning on it. Giada's actual recipe called for only salt and pepper on the steak, but I knew that wouldn't be enough for my taste buds. Next I heated up a skillet with some olive oil and seared the steak for about 8 minutes on each side. The recipe only called for 5 minutes on each side, but that was for a medium rare steak, which is too rare for my liking. I cooked the steak until it was about medium well. This steak was sooo yummy! I don't think I should take the credit for it though, because the cut of the meat was what made it so buttery and delicious. I like how it was so simple to season. I was supposed to make an arugula salad with this steak but sadly my arugula went bad, so I had to stick with steam-fresh vegetables. I'm glad I got to make this recipe, because I want to get a good idea of how to prepare different meats and different ways of doing so. Last week I also made Roasted Bell Peppers - a very cool recipe! There are made by charring bell peppers in the oven, removing the skin, slicing them into strips, and marinating them in garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper. I let the whole thing sit over night and the next day I used them to make a Sweet Red Pepper Crostini. To make this crostini I toasted slices of a baguette in the oven, put one of the Roasted Bell Peppers on each slice, and topped it with some fontina cheese! They were great appetizers. It had a taste that reminded me of pizza, but the most simple and fresh pizza you could eat. This Crostini not only tasted good, but looked good as well!! Both the steak and Crostini were very successful.

Time Spent: 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment