Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sorry Mr. Fishy...

Red Snapper with Rosemary sounded exciting to make, mostly because I never worked with an entire fish before. This Red Snapper, scaled and cleaned, would be seasoned with salt & pepper, olive oil, and filled with lemon, fennel bulb (never had it before, but was very aromatic and had a slightly sweet flavor), onion, rosemary, and garlic in it's cavity. I prepared all the ingredients that would go into the snapper's cavity according to the recipe. Once I noticed how small the cavity of my Red Snapper was, I didn't think it was big enough to hold all of the ingredients needed. So Giada's Red Snapper was probably much bigger than mine. Nevertheless, I stuffed the Red Snapper's cavity to it's maximum capacity (that rhymed!) and baked it at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
While the Snapper was cooking, I made Lemon Spaghetti, by tossing cooked spaghetti with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and parmesan. If the spaghetti was too dry, you could add cooking liquid leftover from the cooked pasta.
It didn't look this scary in person!

Once the fish was flaky and done cooking, my mom (I was too scared to do this part) removed the head and the  backbone from the fish, resulting in two pieces of the fish. This recipe was something I was very interested in making, because it wasn't a typical recipe. I didn't taste a lot of flavor from the fennel and onion, but the lemon in the fish was very apparent. The Red Snapper wasn't amazing, but I liked it! The lemon spaghetti was the perfect side dish for this fish. I think the Lemon Spaghetti will be my go to fish companion when I make fish in the future. I didn't really like using an entire fish because it was so much more of a hassle than just buying fish fillets. Although, I'm really glad I got to experience how to roast and entire fish, and what kind of flavors go well with fish.

Time Spent: 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment